This program is offered 100% online or in a blended format. Students living within a reasonable distance of Midway College are expected to attend a clinical skills lab on campus prior to beginning Externship.
Midway College offers an Associate of Science Degree in Medical Assisting. The degree program features accelerated instruction and prepares students with an appropriate foundation of skills and knowledge directly applicable to the healthcare support industry. The program emphasizes writing; computer applications; clinical/laboratory procedures; medical vocabulary; structure and function of the human body and biology.
The degree is designed for students wishing to enter a multi-skilled profession, which involves assisting healthcare practitioners, under direct supervision, in all aspects of medical practice. Medical Assistants perform administrative and clinical procedures, assist with patient care management and often conduct managerial functions. Students who successfully complete this program may be eligible for national credentialing.
Objectives of the program are to:
- Prepare a knowledgeable entry-level employee with technical skills and work habits necessary to perform effectively in a medical office or healthcare setting
- Utilize laboratory activities for preparation in all aspects of clinical medical assisting within an appropriate scope-of-practice
- Prepare the graduate to perform administrative and clinical skills required in the field
- Prepare the graduate to be qualified in medical assisting and prepared to pass the credentialing examination of choice
At the completion of the program, the graduate will be able to:
- Understand the medical assisting profession and scope of practice.
- Understand basics of human anatomy and physiology, nutrition, and body systems.
- Understand basic medical terminology.
- Understand principles of medical law and ethics.
- Understand psychology of human relations.
- Understand and demonstrate basics of pharmacology.
- Demonstrate basic keyboarding/computer concepts.
- Understand and demonstrate medical office administrative/business procedures and management.
- Understand and demonstrate medical office clinical procedures within the appropriate scope of practice.
- Understand and demonstrate medical laboratory procedures within the appropriate scope of practice.
- Understand concepts of career development.
Program Course Listing
|General Education Requirements for an Associate Degree||Semester Hours|
|Critical Thinking and Studies in Diversity (CT 101)*||3|
|Mathematics (One course MA 140 or higher – excluding MA 143, 201, and 302)*||3|
|Fundamentals of Communication (COM 205)*||3|
|Composition (ENG 101* and ENG 102*)||6|
|Natural Sciences (BIO 103 and BIO 104)||4|
|Behavioral or Sociological Sciences (PSY 180)*||3|
|Arts and Humanities (Spanish is required for Equine majors)||3|
|Art (ART), Humanities (HUM), Literature (ENG-Literature) or any Foreign Language course, Music (MUS), Philosophy (PHIL), Religion (REL)|
- Demonstrated computer competency
- *Minimum grade of C required for graduation
- ACT Math score of 18, SAT Math score of 490; or MAPP Math score of 111; CAE score of 14 for MA 140 or higher
- ACT English score of 18; or SAT Writing score of 450; or MAPP Writing score of 112 for English 101
- Students who have completed two years of high school Spanish with a grade of C or better may choose an alternative course to satisfy the Arts and Humanities requirement
|Medical Assisting Requirements||Semester Hours|
|Clinical Procedures for Medical Assisting (MAST 100)*||3|
|Laboratory Procedures I (MAST 115)*||4|
|Medical Office Management (MAST 120)*||3|
|Laboratory Procedures II (MAST 200)*||4|
|Externship I (MAST 205)*||4|
|Externship II (MAST 201)*s||4|
|Supporting Requirements||Semester Hours|
|Anatomy & Physiology for Medical Programs (BIO 100)*||3|
|General Biology I (BIO 103) (fullfills Natural Sciences requirement)||0|
|General Biology I – Lab (BIO 104) (fulfills Natural Sciences requirement)||0|
|Microbiology for Medical Programs (BIO 110)*||3|
|Medical Vocabulary (BIO 204)*||2|
|General Psychology (PSY 180) (fulfills the Behavioral or Sociological Sciences)||0|
|Math for Meds (MA 106)||3|
|Software Applications (CS 235)||3|
|Total Degree Hours||62|
*A minimum grade of “C” in all major courses required for graduation.
Online Program Technology Requirements:
Moodle 2.X System Requirements
|Hardware of Software Component||
|Operating System||Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.4 (or higher)|
|Free disk space||256 MB or more|
|Other||Sound card and speakers(microphone recommended)|
|Browser||Mozilla Firefox 1.5 or higher(IE 6.0+ or Safari 1.2+ will work)|
|Internet Connection||DSL or broadband strongly recommended(56K or greater will work)|
|Productivity Software||MS Office(Open Office is a free alternative)|
|Bandwidth||Must have access to a broadband Internet connection that permits access to multimedia course content.|
|Browser Plug-Ins||Please install the latest version of the following plugins: Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Flash, QuickTime, and Java. If you are unsure of your versions of the previously listed plugins, please use the Firefox Browser Plug-In Checker.|